(Sugar Free Option)
Our family has 2 celiacs and a dairy free type 1 diabetic. I was just chatting with another mom who said she found it difficult to find desserts that were GFDF and low in sugar. Thought I’d share this dessert, as it is allergen friendly and low in sugar.
This recipe was handed down from my Grandma. She and my mom made it all of the time when we were growing up. It is perfect for a spring time BBQ. My Gram and Mom made it with whipped cream and ‘normal’ graham crumbs, but it is easily changed to be GFDF and low sugar.
I use Kinnikinnick’s Graham Style crumbs and you could use normal whipped cream, if you wish (just substitute the coconut cream for normal whipping cream).
Gram’s Raspberry Dessert
- 1 package Raspberry JELLO (you can use sugar free if needed)
- 1 cup Boiling Water
- 2 cups Ice Cubes
- 1.5 cups Kinnikinnick Graham Style crumbs
- 1 can Coconut Milk (I use Aroy-D as not a lot of extra ingredients! AND good quality)
- 0.5 cup Fresh or Frozen Raspberries
Coconut Cream can be great and we have had some disasters. This is what I’ve learnt over time on how to make the best coconut whipped cream.
Coconut Whipping Cream
- FIRST buy good quality Coconut Milk. We’ve had good luck with Aroy-D
- CHILL can of coconut milk for 10 hours or more in the fridge
- CHILL your kitchen-aide mixing bowl for 10-15 minutes
- Open the can of coconut milk and scoop only the hard part into your chilled bowl. Leave the liquid behind.
- Beat with mixer until it gets fluffy like whipped cream. It will take a few minutes.
- Add sugar, if you wish. This is your preference. We like it just how it is.
Put Coconut Cream into fridge until you are ready to use it.
Put JELLO powder into a mixing bowl and add boiling water. Stir well until powder has dissolved. Add ice cubes and stir for 2 minutes and then take out remaining ice cubes. Put JELLO into fridge.
Evenly spread Graham Crumbs into a 9×13 pan and press flat with palm of your hand. Set to the side.
Sometimes I drive all around town and can not find the graham style crumbs and then I do one of two things
- Forget the crumbs and just make it without!
- Bake my chocolate chip cookies and then crumble them up in place of graham style crumbs
- Buy store bought chocolate chip cookie and crumble them up in place of graham style crumbs
Once JELLO is just starting to thicken, it happens fairly quick, then gently stir in half to 3/4 of the prepared coconut milk (the remainder can be put back into fridge until serving). Pour JELLO mixture on top of prepared graham crust and sprinkle with a few extra crumbs from your box of crumbs. Cover and place into the fridge to get firm. Once it is firm, cut the raspberry dessert into squares and serve each piece with a spoon of coconut cream on top with a few raspberries for decoration.
It really is very simple and tastes great. I’ve also layered this in glass bowls or cups, which looks very pretty. We have made this dessert a tradition when we go camping. I put it into individual size tupperware containers with a lid. Then, each person can eat as much as they want out of their own an the kids loved this when they were growing up! They maybe pretty much grown up now … but they still love it!